Tuesday, May 31, 2011

They're Ready!

So it went exactly as I had hoped, which for some reason leaves me a little uneasy. Like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop, you know? Anyways, we have at least 4 follicles measuring at or over 18mm which is what qualifies us to get the green light for egg retrieval. I have lots of other follicles around 17, some at 15 and I even saw one at 13mm. So there are plenty in there, let's just pray for good quality!  I am to do the HCG shot tonight at 9:30 exactly, which will be 35 hours prior to my egg retrieval Thursday morning at 8:30am. At my last appointment my estrogen level was over 700 when it should have been around 100 or 200, so that's not a problem. I have one more blood test tomorrow morning to make sure all levels are good for the egg retrieval.  Exciting times! I'm just starting to get nervous something is going to go wrong. So all day today I will be trying not to focus on those thoughts.

Instead I will focus on taking the meds as I am supposed to, staying calm and hydrated to ward off OHSS, staying positive and praying for success. For one whole day tomorrow, I do not have to give any shots to myself! I will still get poked for the blood draw, but at least I don't have to do it! They gave me a new protocol to follow starting with my HCG shot tonight. Blood work in the morning, last meal tomorrow night and no eating after midnight, no liquid after 4am. We have to be at the doctor at 8am Thursday morning for an 8:30 retrieval. We have to bring with us the first progesterone shot, Vicodin and crackers to take the first Vicodin. The procedure doesn't take long, about 30-45 minutes, followed by 30 minutes of recovery. They will give me the first progesterone shot during the procedure. I will still be under so I won't feel that one! However, they have already drawn the circles on my backside for my husband to have a target zone for the remainder of the shots!

They will then call us each day to inform us on how our embryos are doing and when we should go back for the transfer. More than likely that will be Sunday...happy birthday to me! Hopefully that is just another sign of good things to come.  I was given strict instructions not to do anything strenuous for the next 3 weeks as my ovaries are very enlarged and tender and I'm at risk for OHSS. Don't worry! I won't be moving from my bed for a full 4 days after my transfer to hopefully give those embryos the best possible shot at attaching! I will just continue to try to be the best incubator I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment